Monday, July 12, 2010

July 12- Day One of Classes

This is going to be a short one (you're welcome)! We finally got to meet with the Business Camp and get to know everyone. The Opening Ceremony was pretty standard, and class was really interesting. We learned about the knowledge economy and management tasks.

My working group is Paulina (from Tennessee), Lydie (Anglo-fied from Taiwan), and Durant (semi-Anglo-fied from Taiwan). We don't really have topics like the Engineering Camp does, but we have a lot of group work. Neither Paulina nor I are business majors, but we managed to be the only group to give a presentation today without any criticism from Dr. Jih. Yeah, we're pretty awesome. Our team name is BAChungLi, or Bad Ass Chung-Li.

Side note- I'm thinking about changing my PhD focus into something linguistics-esque. Here's why: every time I speak a foreign language near one of its native speakers, he/she always starts rambling off in their language and I have to stop them. Dr. Jih thought I knew Mandarin because he heard me counting to ten and saying "Chung-Li." He told me my pronunciation was spot-on (and he'd been correcting everyone else all day!)!

After class, David and I went to dinner with some of the Business Camp and then walked the night market again. Now it's 9:10pm, and I think I'm going to go to bed. We are taking the train into Taipei tomorrow to visit a local company, and then taking another train to a village on the Taiwanese shore called Tamshui. Hope everyone is doing well!

Justin

PS- This toilet paper thing isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment